Parquet board is a variety of natural shades, beautiful texture and environmental friendliness. How justified is the use of wood in a kitchen, where drops of oil get on the finish, and it is exposed to humidity and temperature extremes? To understand this problem, you need to consider the features of this finish.
Parquet board includes three layers:
• Top coating made of valuable wood;
• Middle layer of narrow strips;
• The bottom plywood layer is perpendicular to the fibers of the next layer.
The material is made from various woods:
• Oak. Differs in increased strength and is not sensitive to moisture.
• Ash tree. A durable material with a beautiful texture.
• Maple. Its structure is soft enough, therefore, it may not withstand mechanical stress and high humidity.
• Beech. It has an excellent appearance, but is considered too soft for kitchen conditions.
• Walnut. Quite a popular option, however, due to the variegated texture, it may not fit into the interior.
Parquet board is often subjected to additional processing. With the help of varnish, a glossy surface is obtained. Brushed floor elements look unusual in the interior. They are obtained by surface treatment with metal brushes. The result is an original structure that resembles an aged wood.
Advantages and disadvantages
Parquet board stands out with its properties among other finishing materials:
• Looks natural in any interior;
• Affordable price compared to solid wood or conventional parquet;
• Environmental friendliness and safety for others;
• Warm and pleasant to the touch;
• Simple installation;
• The presence of an additional layer (varnish or wax);
• Installation on a substrate, which increases the strength of the coating;
• Duration of service is over 25 years.
The disadvantages of a parquet board include the following features:
• Requires care, which consists in the use of special detergents;
• Has a high cost compared to linoleum, tiles, laminate;
• Under mechanical impact, scratches or cracks appear;
• Under intensive action of moisture, the boards swell, and after drying they change their size and shape;
• To protect the covering, plugs are put on the furniture legs;
• If any area becomes unusable, the whole board must be replaced;
• It is not possible to use original installation methods.
How to protect a parquet board
In order to preserve the surface of the parquet board for a long time, it should be additionally processed. For these purposes, one of two options is best suited: varnish or oil
Varnish is a polymer coating that is applied to the top layer of wood, but does not penetrate into its pores. It is recommended to renew the varnish every 10 years.
On the contrary, oil permeates the wood and maintains the breathability of the material. Due to such a shell, the board becomes less susceptible to moisture. For wood treated with oil, there are special products. They are added to water, which is then used when cleaning the floor.
Most manufacturers supply already finished parquet boards. However, when using it, you need to be careful: wipe up spilled water, restore traces of damage.
Parquet board is a perfectly acceptable option for the kitchen. Effective external properties, safety and ease of installation distinguish it from other materials. Subject to these rules, the coating will last as long as possible in the kitchen.